Wednesday, March 11, 2015

On Your Mark!

On your mark. Get set. STOP!

I am a master of unfinished business. I started piano lessons. And vocal lessons. I've sold telephone lines. And junk toys. And adult toys. I was in modeling troupe. And choir. I wrote poetry. And songs. And started books. And I've stopped all of these things before realizing my full potential. 

This brings about a great parenting dilemma. When a child says they want to be or do something when they grow up, do you force them to continue that path? Even if they're lackadaisical about it some days? Do your force them to stay on that path even when they say they want to detour or completly switch?

Are they farsighted enough to know that they have what countless other kids dream about, such as access to different programs and facilities? Or do they only see what's in front of them in the here and now? Should they be expected to think about their future when we, at their age, didn't think that far ahead? When some of us still do not plan for our futures?

Where is the boundary between supportive versus overbearing parenting? At what point does helping your child find and follow their passion get overshadowed by the parent reclaiming unknown or unreached dreams?

When I have ANY of these answers, I'll let you know. In the meanwhile, I'll keep talking and encouraging and sharing my experiences. 

No comments: