Friday, March 13, 2015

Girl Gone Wild

There's a school of thought that if a father doesn't give his daughter love, she'll seek it out in all the wrong places. I have several examples of this, but one area where I lived this is not being respectful of my female friends' relationships.

Ever since boys started sniffing me out, I've stepped on ladies' toes. If a friend liked a guy and he smiled at me, I entertained it. If someone's boyfriend wanted me to be his confidante, I was available. Often behind her back or against her wishes. Even though there was no romantic interest on my end (maybe one) and no physical interaction, it was shady and sheisty. 

I've jeopardized about five friendships this way. Three of them fatally. And that's just the ones I remember. There is no telling how many I've forgotten about or didn't even realize were affected. 

It wasn't until college when a friend sat me down and talked to me about what I was doing to people that my eyes opened. By that time lots of damage had been done. But, that ushered in a beneficial period of self-reflection and change. I reckon there is always a silver lining hiding in the clouds. 

No comments: