Friday, March 13, 2015

Namaste Namasta Mamakusa

I've been doing yoga off and on (mostly off) for about the past four years. I've never regretted going to a class (but I may dread and drag getting up and out the house). Even when I expected it to be the laid back relaxing yoga and it turned out to be a sweaty strengthening out of my comfort zone and league class.  

I'd been interested in yoga and meditation for many years before that. When I used to go to church, we were told that such practices went against Christianity, because of the mantras I suppose. I've also heard others question whether or not yoga was safe for them to do or if it contradicts their religious affiliations. 

I never picked up yoga or meditation until long after I stopped going to church. In the classes that I attend or group meditations I've participated in (like with Deepak and Oprah), I've not heard, seen or done anything that would have affected my standing with Christianity. If, by chance, you are interested in "alternative" spiritual practices, these are good activities. They help strengthen your relationship with you and in turn those around you. 

If you do not like or want to do yoga or meditate, you can always pick up other beneficial relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises, sun gazing or watching nature in action (or in inaction). You can get your Namaste on from anywhere! Woo sah!

Namaste means "I bow to you" or "the God (or good) in me sees the God (or good) in you"

For a teacher and student, Namaste allows two individuals to come together energetically to a place of connection and timelessness, free from the bonds of ego-connection. If it is done with deep feeling in the heart and with the mind surrendered, a deep union of spirits can blossom.


No comments: