Thursday, February 19, 2015

Who's Telling Your Story?

As Black History Month winds down, and after watching and reading a myriad of movies, videos and books about Black culture, I'm left wondering who is telling my story? 

Black Entertainment Television (BET) is currently airing a mini-series called "The Book of Negroes" that provides yet another perspective of initial Black life in America. An early scene in the movie had the enslaved Africans calling out their native names awaiting on the ship for the departure to America: Ayo, Aminata, Abiba, Fola. In the next scene, their white captor announces his name as Tom and changes Aminata's name to Mary. 

Just the other day, I wondered what my name would be had it not been for slavery. Perhaps one day I will find a name that resonates with my Spirit. As of now, Dalia, when pronounced Dale-ya, will do. I'll keep an ear open as I continue to write my story. 

No comments: