Sunday, February 22, 2015

Plateau Problems

Doing a blog a day for 40 days sounded like a great idea when I had it. But it's Day 5 and what do I have to talk about? I guess now is a good time to talk about one of my needs for improvement. 

I am a plateauer (new word, meaning "one who plateaus"). I guess it's less about reaching a plateau and more about becoming disinterested and "over it." Which, I suppose is being a quitter. Nah, "plateauer" has more panache.  

I've started and stopped so many things! Which results in wasted money. Hundreds over the past few years. I've bought golf clubs, shoes and clothes and have only been on the course a handful of times...in street clothes, using one or two clubs. 

I have tons of workout and yoga clothes and hardly do either. When I do go to the gym, it's to wash and steam my hair. Otherwise, I sit at the basketball court watching our son practice. I do go to an average of one yoga class a month (maybe). Oh yeah, that made me remember the roller blades taking up space in the closet. 

I've not gotten very far with learning Spanish on Rosetta Stone. But, to my credit that was a gift for my Husband and not directly for me...and anyway, I remember most of what I learned in high school and college. 

I started out going to college to be a doctor (pediatrician or anesthesiologist). I switched to Chemistry because I didn't want to listen to the monotonous Botany teacher or look at her butt-long ponytail. Technically, that doesn't qualify as quitting. She forced me out since the class was a requirement for a Biology degree at the time. I may be the reason it became an elective. 

There are a couple things that I stay consistent with. One is keeping track of where our money goes. Once you've been broke (and depressed), that's not a place to which you willingly return. And, since I don't like having to get up everyday and work, I'm doing what I can to minimize expenses so I can retire. 

I'm also a voracious reader. I feel bad if I start a book and don't finish it. Well, that mainly goes for fiction. I've started and stopped reading "Think and Grow Rich" and "A New Earth" five or six times. But, if you put a James Patterson book in front of me, I won't stop until it's finished. 

Duh!!! I haven't quit the job I've had over the last 16 years. So maybe I'm not a quitter as long as I'm getting paid. 

Hmmm why do I feel like this revelation is a bad thing. Now I have some things to thing about. 

1 comment:

YAHAZIAH said...

Nope! You are definitely NOT a quitter! LOL Perhaps you are just one who is intelligent, multifaceted and interesting. That doesn't lend an "excuse" for quitting. It's just that, when it doesn't hit your "niche", you can't really stick with it. :)