Saturday, February 21, 2015

Love Means Never Having to Say, "I'm Sorry"

"Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a popular saying. Until today, I didn't know it was taken from a novel and 1970 film called "Love Story" starring AIi MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal (thanks Yahoo! search). 

Anyway, I call BS on this quote. Love is saying you're sorry as often as needed. I transgress often against my two closest loved ones, Rick and Deuce).  I apologize, even when it bruises my ego and I have to mull over my apology for a bit. 

I've turned the phrase around in my mind trying to see when it would ever make sense and I'm coming up empty handed. Well, I guess if you're perfect and make no mistakes you never have to apologize but that's about it. 

It's possible that someone out there guards their thoughts, words and actions so closely that they never step on anyone's toes, but that's not me. Not even close.

I have good intentions. But I sometimes say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Or the right thing at the wrong time. Or in the wrong tone. And things can go wrong. 

I apologize...usually the same day. Out of love for the person I offend and for myself. For my peace of mind. And peace in my home and surroundings. So unless I don't know how to love, then love means never missing the opportunity to say you're sorry (or to apologize if you're a person who doesn't call yourself "sorry"...the whole "whatever you say after "I am" is what you believe/are/will be thing"). 



No comments: