Thursday, February 26, 2015

Who Am I?

These three words got a lot of airtime in my mind today. Everything I know about my heritage is supposition. The assumption is that because my skin is dark brown that I'm a descendant of slaves from Africa. Which is fine, since all life is from Africa. But, who's to say that my ancestors weren't free people from dark communities in Asia, The Middle East, etc.?

Why is African American or Black American slave descendant my default? That's the same with White Americans going on the premise that their ancestors were slave owners and not slaves...I mean indentured servants who migrated to America. 

And then, even if I AM from Africa, that's not telling me anything. Africa is a big ass CONTINENT while others get to rep their COUNTRY. I got my DNA tested and it shows me being from The Middle East which also is useless information since the M. E. used to be part of Africa and people from M. E. were indentured in Africa. 

A common reason that "African American" people do not know their history is because it was lost during slavery. But why don't I know my history from the past 100-200 years? And does it really matter? 

As a human, I know what I'm capable of being/doing, so will will it motivate me more knowing that my family ancestors did this or that? Does it allow me to puff my chest in pride based on their accomplishments? I know American history books paint a biased picture, so all I need to do is color in the faces and know that whoever did it descended from the same Source I did...

Sigh. To close this chapter, I know for sure that I am American (for the moment). So I'll keep ticking "other" or "prefer not to answer" unless I can enter American as a choice. 

No comments: