Monday, February 23, 2015

Fuck a Dollar and a Dream

I am a very generous person. I'm quick to donate for just about any cause: funerals, backpacks for kids returning to school, clean water in Africa, whatever. 

That's fine when it comes to charity, but it's not such a good habit to have in relationships. I tended to date boys/men who needed help, be it financial or emotional. 

I had a flashback of one instance today. I was supporting an ex in his endeavor to become a talent manager. He was saving his money and my money went to pay the bills. I was doing everything I could to make ends meet: car title and 401k loans, credit cards, bouncing checks, paying bills late, whatever. 

It's totally not his fault that I was willing to drown myself so his dream could float. But, from that, I hold dear the words of the late, great Notorious B. I. G. in his song Big Poppa: Tremendous cream, fuck a dollar and a dream. 

I did not feel any anger or regret when I had the flashback today. I was just happy that I finally learned that lesson. I always say that life will keep teaching you the same lessons until you learn them. 

It feels awesome to be the saved one and not the savior...or, to be more accurate, experience a symbiotic relationship. 

No comments: