Friday, July 03, 2009

Why I Do It

In a heated exchange with a family member, I was once told that I haven't been through anything and my life has been too easy. That short spiel, which was intended to offend and silence me, did just the opposite.

It made me realize that portraying a life of perfection while inwardly fighting struggles and battles was doing a disservice to the world around me. It made me wonder how much my younger niece and cousins were hiding because they did not think I could understand what they were going through or thought that I would judge them for the lives they were leading.

So, at the risk of being called crazy, silly or a Certified Loon (not to be confused with a lunatic), I share my story. This includes the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, the pretty and the ugly. I open myself to ridicule and scrutiny to show the youth in my life that I am not perfect and they don't have to be either.

I don't write for the over 30 crowd, although people of all ages can benefit from openness and honesty. I write for Natalie, Nayira, Jas, Jode, Michayla, Lauren, Tasha, Jessica, Quetta, Trina, and those who are going through, have gone through or will soon go through growing pains. If I can help just one of them, then my exposure is not in vain.

If I, a 32-year-old wife and mother, have body issues, then surely a 20 year old whose body is still undergoing changes may have them as well. If I look in the mirror and can't always see the beautiful face that others compliment, then it is my duty to share that.

I can no longer support the Ms. Goody Two Shoes persona. I have problems, insecurities and shortcomings. I am bitchy and short-tempered when I'm hungry, just wake up and periodically throughout the day. I have done a lot of growing and still have much yet to do. I also have a lot of wonderful attributes. If I don't share all of me, then I do a disservice to the younger generation who looks at me as a role model or otherwise.

1 comment:

~.:O:.~ said...

You know, that's a very interesting thought. I'm highly regarded as a role model to the younger ones in my family, and they always boast about the success that I have to the ones still growing up. I'm certain while some are in awe of me, there is also some hate there.

I too don't make much of a point to talk about my pains and struggles. I don't want to come off as whiny or one who makes excuses for the times that I do fail. So I just suck it up, keep my head down and don't come up until I succeed. All they see is the success, but they would actually value it if they knew of the struggle.

So bravo for sharing. It shows a human side of you, and you'll be more appreciated.