Thursday, March 05, 2009

Farewell Cayenne


On November 9, 1998 I bought my first car. It was a Cayenne Red Chevy Cavalier which I affectionately called Cayenne and Cavy.

I wanted a car, so bad...any car would do. I had a dream about a red car and after looking at several types, I chose Cayenne.

I didn't care much what the car offered. I only wanted a CD player and air conditioning. I found out years later that I was short-sighted and should have also opted for power locks and windows.

Cavy has been with me on road trips between Indianapolis and East Chicago, Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville and anywhere else I had a whim to go. Now, 150,000 miles later, she and I just separated.

Cayenne now has a new Mommy and best friend, A and her daughter S. She'll be housed around the corner from me, so I'll still be able to visit her. However, in 2 weeks I'm moving to Charlotte and our separation will be more permanent.

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm sad. I ask in return, "Do you want me to be?" and "Should I be?" I'm not sad per se. I'm happy that A and S have transportation all their own, but it's bittersweet knowing that this was my first car and the only brand spanking new car I've owned to date (started with 16 miles).

Cayenne has been with me through break-ups and make-ups, promotions, good times and bad. She's been more dependable and faithful to me than many men and friends have been.

Thank you for swerving back into the lane when I've drifted off to sleep and rolled over the bumpy part of the highway. I am grateful to you for never dying on me and being a low-maintenance car. I appreciate that you were not condescending when I beat your steering wheel in frustration, whether at an idiot on the road or an idiot in my life.

Adieu Cayenne, adieu. I wish you well in your new role and hope you will remain the happy, trust-worthy car you've always been.

3 comments:

JaMarlon said...

Bye Cavy!! LOL

Unknown said...

Adios Cavy...

Life should never be about regrets...Cavy was good to you indeed but it is simply time to move forward towards newer and better things!

Hello Charlotte and hello....????.....don't keep us waiting...we would like to know about Cavy's replacement! :-)))

Queen Dalia said...

Who's asking, Ron or Tosca? Surely you aren't reading blogs together?!?

So, as of yet, Cayenne has not been replaced. We're down to one vehicle, a minivan, which I love. It's got satellite radio, a DVD player AND power locks, windows and doors.