Monday, June 15, 2009

I Asked For It

I recently went to an amusement park to evaluate customer service. I told myself I'd give one rollercoaster a try. After surviving that one, I figured I could handle a couple more and I ventured on two additional rides. Getting out of my comfort zone and doing something I was afraid of doing was exhilarating.

The next day, I flew to Boston for work. As I was deplaning, I asked myself what I could do to further discomfort myself during my trip. After arriving at the hotel, I was informed that my room would not be ready for an hour.

I decided to walk around, rather than sit in the lobby on the computer as I would normally. While walking, I saw a group of people traveling in one direction and chose to follow the crowd, even though I was often warned against doing so. The throng of people was headed toward a Pride Parade, often referred to as a Rainbow Parade.

Normally, I would not associate myself with anyone or anything that would allow people to make judgments about me, but I said, "What the hell," and stayed to view the parade. It was quite interesting, though I was not completely comfortable being there. Again, I was proud to do something unexpected. That excursion further solidified the fact that it is time for me to live my life for me and not in fear of others' expectations or desires, just like the bold people in the parade were doing.

Fast forward to today. This morning, R informed me that "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" was having auditions in Charlotte and told me I should go. I immediately said that I was not going. Then, after a moment of introspection and realizing that I didn't want to go because 1) I didn't think I was smart enough for the show and 2) I didn't want to be embarrassed if I did poorly on the show, I again said, "What the hell," and got dressed to go to the audition.

Although I did not make the cut, I am happy that I again tackled my insecurities head on and went against the grain of my normal self. Now, I'm not sure how long Daredevil Dalia will be present, but for as long as she is, my life will be fuller and more joyful.

I hope you enjoy the current me as much as I am! I asked to outgrow my comfort zone and I am doing things to push me out of the 32-year-old cocoon, which has begun to suffocate me.

No comments: